Here is a list of useful links to assist with Zoom and help with the installation process.
It can be installed on either an iPhone, Android phone, a Tablet or a Computer.
Best to install it as an app on your Apple or Windows computer. Zoom can run directly from Chrome or Firefox browser but with less functionality than what is available in the app.
If you have earphones to plug into your computer, phone or tablet, use them. It will improve your interactive experience.
Zoom has an excellent support page that should answer all of your questions.
- Zoom support – Getting Started
- Zoom Video Tutorials – short videos to help you get started
Installing on your Computer
Installing on your Smart Device
How to join a meeting
… Crome or Firefox Browser
… if you have a Computer or Smart Device
… if you only have a phone
… alternative Option
to join video: Tap the meeting link provided, follow the prompt to see the video
to join audio: Click on the up arrow next to your microphone icon at the bottom left of your screen.
Testing you meeting setup
Focus on the section for either Desktop/Laptop or Mobile depending on where you choose to install it.
Your security and Zoom
There have been articles in the press about Zoom meetings that have been invaded by unwelcome guests. They are usually disrupted with foul and threatening language and posting of unwelcome content.
You may wonder if you join a Zoom meeting if you are likely to encounter the above. Maybe you worry about the general security around Zoom.
If the Zoom host follow easy guidelines it is unlikely that such an incident will incur in the meeting. They are:
- Do not publish the link, the meeting ID and the password to the meeting in a public forum like Twitter or Facebook.
- Create a waiting room for each meeting. That means nobody can join the meeting until the host verifies who it is that wants to join the meeting. In the unlikely event an unwanted guest slips in, they can be removed from the meeting to the waiting room and cannot disrupt a meeting further.
- Do not allow members to share information with others in the meeting until the host has verified that all members in a meeting are legitimate. In addition the host can specify what types of files can be shared.
- The host can limit the chat function to not allow messages to all users.
For all the Windward zoom meetings we follow these basic guidelines to limit the likelihood of unwelcome guests.
Is your personal information safe? When you signup for a Zoom account you need to secure it with a username and password. As long as you keep that information safe and practice good internet safety your information should be secure.
Guideline for internet safety
How to host a Zoom meeting
Here are the steps to host your first Zoom meeting.
Setup a new account with zoom
If you do not have an account with zoom yet you can set one up at
Zoom has a very good support page to assist everyone to start using Zoom. The link below provides a good overview of the navigation in your app from the perspective of the host.
Getting started on Windows and Mac
Schedule a meeting
It is possible to schedule a meeting at zoom.us
Once you logged into your account you can schedule a meeting from the meetings selection on the left side of the screen.
Invite to meeting
Once the meeting is scheduled you can invite others to join your meeting.